BECOME A PUPPY RAISER TODAY!
We are searching for individuals, kids, and families in the Lakeland area to join our puppy raiser team!
ASA offers the opportunity for kids to participate in this hands-on training experience with our temperament tested Assistance Dogs in training.
As a Puppy Raiser you will care for the pup in your home.
Some of our requirements:
1) Attending or dropping the pup at our Puppy Raiser / Jr. Trainer class weekly in Lakeland.
2) Following a provided daily schedule.
3) Daily training, approximately 30-45 minutes.
4) Sending videos of the training (3 times weekly) to allow Miss Amanda to respond with pointers and adjustments to the training plan.
5) Must be 8 or older to become a Jr. Trainer or Puppy Raiser.
6) Must live within 1 hour of Lakeland.
7) Must not have any dog-aggressive animals in the home.
ASA provides everything you’ll need to care for the pup, including food, toys, crate, training equipment, and vet care. No extended commitment required to participate.
We have a variety of dog breeds and ages in the training program, some hypoallergenic. The dogs in training range anywhere from 10 weeks to 2 years old.
At our weekly Puppy Raiser / Jr Trainer class, we discuss:
How the week of training pups went, the next step in the training process for each PR / Jr. Trainer and pup, the importance of mental and physical exercise, individuals with disabilities and how we can help, working dogs, safety, grooming, vet care, acting appropriately around dogs, and last but not least, the awesome world of training!
Our teaching methods emphasize structure, fairness, focus, compassion, attention to detail, planning, empathy, responsibility, and finding enjoyment in “work”.
Jr. Trainers also participate in helping us train other “assistance dogs in training”, along with previous clients in need of refresher training. They might meet Maggie the wheelchair assistance Service Dog, Bryzzo the Autism Service Dog, or Juju the Therapy Dog back for refresher training and/or re-certification.
Education is the primary goal of the ASA organization. We train dogs, handlers, recipients, family members, healthcare professionals, trainers, and the general public, now we’re educating our future generations- the kids!